No Longer Human
Portraying himself as a failure, the protagonist of Osamu Dazai's No Longer Human narrates a seemingly normal life even while he feels himself incapable of understanding human beings. Oba Yozo's attempts to reconcile himself to the world around him begin in early childhood, continue through high school, where he becomes a clown to mask his alienation, and eventually lead to a failed suicide attempt as an adult. Without sentimentality, he records the casual cruelties of life and its fleeting moments of human connection and tenderness.
- Format: Paperback | 176 pages
- Dimensions: 132 x 203 x 15mm | 243g
- Publication date: 01 Jan 2020
- Publisher: New Directions Publishing Corporation
- Publication City/Country: New York, United States
- Language: English
- Edition Statement: Revised ed.
- ISBN10: 0811204812
- ISBN13: 9780811204811
- Bestsellers rank: 24