I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
Sent by their mother to live with their devout, self-sufficient grandmother in a small Southern town, Maya and her brother, Bailey, endure the ache of abandonment and the prejudice of the local `powhitetrash.` At eight years old and back at her mother's side in St. Louis, Maya is attacked by a man many times her age-and has to live with the consequences for a lifetime. Years later, in San Francisco, Maya learns about love for herself and the kindness of others, her own strong spirit, and the ideas of great authors (`I met and fell in love with William Shakespeare`) will allow her to be free instead of imprisoned.
Poetic and powerful, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings is a modern American classic that will touch hearts and change minds for as long as people read.
- Format: Paperback | 289 pages
- Dimensions: 110 x 176 x 21mm | 150g
- Publication date: 21 Apr 2009
- Publisher: Random House USA Inc
- Imprint: Random House Inc
- Publication City/Country: New York, United States
- Language: English
- Edition Statement: Reissue
- ISBN10: 0345514408
- ISBN13: 9780345514400
- Bestsellers rank: 448